The importance of being healthy inside and out
Being healthy is the key to a long and happy life. Achieving good health means more than going to the gym regularly and following a well-balanced diet (although those are certainly key factors as well).
12 Oct 2017 11:49
In fact, emotional and mental health may be even more important to your overall well-being. Getting fit inside and out can mean getting rid of some things in your life that are holding you back from achieving your full potential. Here are some tips for ‘cleaning out’ your life and helping ensure you become your happiest, healthiest self possible.
If you need help from others for things that you feel you can’t control, such as addiction, know that there are people willing to get you the help you need. The experts at Luminance rehab in Orange County
, list several symptoms and warning signs of addiction to look for, including blacking out, neglecting family and work responsibilities, secretive habits and trouble with the law. If you or a loved one is experiencing these signs, seek professional help to deal with them.Getting healthy inside
- Release all of your anger, resentment, and bitterness: We have all experienced disappointment, loss and tragedy. If you are harboring ill will towards someone in your life, you need to learn to let it go. Forgive that person, even if they are unremorseful for what they have done. When you replay the situation over and over in your head, it can leave little room for other, more joyful experiences.
- Make peace with your past: Perhaps you were abused as a child, or have gone through a bitter divorce; maybe you are not proud of some of the things you’ve done. Make peace with yourself and know that the future doesn’t have to hinge on the past. In other words, you can choose to live differently today than yesterday, no matter what your situation is. Just as you need to forgive others, you need to forgive yourself, too. Learn to love yourself, as you are right now, flaws and all. Don’t let your life be full of regrets. Whether it’s the fact you regret having that first cigarette, or you regret rejecting a loved one, learn to get past it.
- Pray/meditate: If you believe in a higher power, pray and meditate daily to seek guidance. Seek out group study sessions, either online or in person. There are many spiritual retreats taking place across the country.
- Choose to be happy: Yes, happiness is a choice! You can choose to be happy with who you are and what you have right now, today.
Getting healthy outside
- You are what you eat: When you eat well, you feel well, it’s that simple. Stick to a diet that is low in fat, and high in protein. A well-balanced diet with the occasional treat will help you feel in control and can help decrease your risk of disease.
- Get moving: You don’t need to spend hours in the gym, but daily walks are a great start if you’re used to being inactive. If you sit at a desk all day, find some desk exercises to do while you’re on the phone, or when you’re not busy. Find a friend and sign up for a gym membership, or just take the stairs instead of the elevator. The important step is the first step! Just get moving!
- Get rid of toxic people: This one can be difficult, but is necessary to ensure your longevity and health over the long term. Your best friend can be a bad influence and entice you to do things you don’t even want to do (like go out for drinks after work); your spouse may be negative and even abusive. No matter what the negative nature of those around you, you need to cut them from your life. This is not easy and you may need advice from others on how to do this without making your situation worse.
- Seek help for your addictions: sugar, drugs, alcohol, and nicotine: If your drinking has gotten out of hand, or you really want to quit smoking, stop overdosing on sugar, or you want to quit drugs, you may need some outside help. Addictions are real and they can have an adverse effect on your health.
Being healthy means evaluating both your mental and your physical state, and taking steps to change the things in your life that are preventing you from achieving your best self.