#WomensMonth

Subscribe to industry newsletters

Wegbreek ordered to change name

The Cape High Court last week ordered Wegbreek, the Afrikaans travel magazine, to change it's name and various other elements, after the publishers of veteran travel mag, Getaway took it to court for trademark infringement. Is this a classic case of brand copycat or sloppy journalism?
Comment
Skank
I'm startin' a band...-
I'm startin' a band called "die troeteldier winkel seuntjies"...
Posted on 31 Jan 2005 17:56
Gatvol en Skaam
sies man-
Wegbreek did really well due to Afrikaans sentiment, probably showing Afrikaans buying power. But the magazine is a shameless copy of Getaway, notwithstanding the judge's opinion that the names do not translate literally (which they do). The true test for NewMedia/Media 24's mettle will be the "rebadged" version of Wegbreek. Can you still do it without piggy-backing on awareness of someone else's brand? I hope so.
Posted on 1 Feb 2005 07:06
Gigi
Plagiarism-
Apparently there was a whole article in Getaway that was translated into Afrikaans and used in Wegbreek. Shocking! And much worse than the Darrel Bristow-Bovey copying Bill Bryson debacle.
Posted on 1 Feb 2005 08:49
Louis
Wegbreek-
gigi, don't throw all kinds of allegations around about stories... tell me what story and then we can talk again. But then again, you have also heard the one about the cellphone and the virus .....
Posted on 1 Feb 2005 08:57
rashu
Shameful plagiarism-
Media 24 has shown that despite the apparent gloss of the re-branding, the bullyboy lager mentality remains. Media 24 both prints and distributes Getaway and tried to use their monopolistic position to dominate their considerably smaller customer Ramsay Son & Parker. Of course this might be conclusive proof to certain Afrikaners that the Boer war is definitely not over! Ag shame!
Posted on 1 Feb 2005 09:10
Positiva
Which article??-
Please tell me which article it was, which issue, and then which issue of Wegbreek it appeared in. Thanks, Positiva
Posted on 1 Feb 2005 09:27
snow white
"apparently" ??-
that's a dangerous word favoured by gossip-mongers, Gigi. It shouldn't be bandied about carelessly.
Posted on 1 Feb 2005 09:29
Hayley
We're waiting...-
We're waiting Gigi..... please tell us what issue and what article. I am prepared to put my entire year's salary on a bet that you are horribly wrong! Can you even read Afrikaans? I think the two mags are very different. Wegbreek seems to have a group of SA's top Afrikaans journalists... why would they need do that?!
Posted on 1 Feb 2005 09:48
Okay, okay
Ek dink die punt is gemaak-
Gigi praat uit haar dinges uit. Praat van op die bandwagon spring. Uit die aard van die saak is die hofuitspraak 'n erge verleentheid, maar dit kan net goed doen om joernaliste en uitgewers bietjie meer te dink voor hulle doen. Ek is verbaas New Media het so lank die naam gebruik voor hulle vasgevat is.
Posted on 1 Feb 2005 10:14
bilingual
they know isiNgesi-
Maybe not sloppy journalism, rather, they forgot that it is not one of their magazines. I'm sure however that they do know English (maybe law?)
Posted on 1 Feb 2005 11:39
Anonymous
Wegbreek better than Getaway-
Wegbreek was an excellent magazine! What a pity....
Posted on 1 Feb 2005 11:59
Gigi
From the Cape Argus 27 January 2005-
The following extract is from an article entitled 'Just no getting away with it' written by Karyn Maughan: The judge said an examination of the two magazines "reveals many similarities between them"."One feature in Wegbreek, 'Moegoe van die Maand', is a blatant copy of Getaway's 'Mug of the Month' - and is almost plagiaristic," he said. For the full article, go to the following link: http://www.capeargus.co.za/index.php?fSectionId=49&fArticleId=2388359
Posted on 1 Feb 2005 12:01
Savannah
Agreed-
This whole story is very sad -- I thoroughly enjoyed Wegbreek and found it refreshing, exciting and informative. Getaway, on the other hand, is a bit long in the tooth.... They needed a wake-up and maybe this Wegbreek saga was just that, but I for one will be very sad if Wegbreek disappears... While Getaway focussed more on glamorous international destinations, Wegbreek offered something for those of us who cannot afford Euros/dollars and showed us how we can enjoy our beautiful continent within a restricted budget....
Posted on 1 Feb 2005 12:22
BUN E LEE
hmmm-
leave wegbreek be - the only reason companies notice competitors is usually because they are frightened re sales .... go away getaway - you've had the monopoly for ages .... gee die afrikaners 'n kansie ... if they called it wegkomkans it would have made no difference. But thanks for the free publicity!
Posted on 1 Feb 2005 13:33
Positiva
Yes, just like...-
...every women's mag has an "Agony Aunt" column, every magazine has a "Letter from the editor" column. Doh!!!!!
Posted on 1 Feb 2005 17:44
AIB
Sies man moet wakker skrik-
Believe me, I have read both magazines. Getaway is heavy, long winded, full of adverts empty of interesting articles (unless you want five star accommodation at the price of a small Limpopo farm) and really not appealing. Wegbreek is fresh, vibrant, energetic, full of articles adverts that do something (it has a section for introducing new and existing camping and leasure equiment), cars, funny stories (Dana jy's tops)... shall I continue? My only worry is if it appears every moth I may not be able to read the entire book every month... There is enough in it to last two months and I read every page of the magazine. Ek is afrikaans en trots daarop - EN ek dink Wegbreek het 'n slag geslaan wat Getaway seermaak. Mooi so Wegbreek - ek begin sommer 'n petisie sodat die hof appèl toestaan teen so 'n lawe beslissing.
Posted on 10 Feb 2005 14:43
Getweg
Sit die pot miss!-
I cannot believe that this has been taken as an attack against Afrikaaners????? Stop acting like dutchman for )**^(&sakes! This is about copyright and a brand that has been built up over a number of years - by hard work and original journalism. Would we be having this debate if the publishers (of Wegbreek - stay with me here)had been original in the name and used there own (names) or synonyms for the regular columns? Surely for all the brilliant journalists involved this wouldnt have been difficult? Perhaps a little business and publishing foresight wouldnt have led to the "close the laager" mentality that has been quick to appear. See you round the potjie!
Posted on 18 Feb 2005 09:33
Read more: Getaway, publisher

Related

Let's do Biz