#WomensMonth

Subscribe to industry newsletters

Plagiarism again

So far the industry has been rather quiet on the fact that Cynthia Vongai has been accused of plagiarising off the net.
Inside info has it that she was only suspended after much pressure from fellow employees. I find it terribly sad that people like Darrel and Cynthia are given revered celeb status in this country thanks to Style mag, Top Billing and the like. The truth is we are a small pond desperately seeking big fish. We put these people up on pedestals and it is a far place to fall from. There are talented and original journalists and writers that are never even given a chance to shine because this industry is all about who you know not what you know...
a sad state of affairs.
Comment
Matt
APPALLING SPELLING-
SIMPLY APPALLING!
Posted on 25 Sep 2003 10:33
concerned
have u guys got nothing better to talk about, people r suffering out there-
people r staving, people r homeless, there are worse things to face than skinner about this Cynthia woman.She will get her day, let's not make a big thing about this. sounds like you guys have got something against her, Why?
Posted on 25 Sep 2003 11:14
Rudi Straueli
Copying is bad-
It is never good to copy. I could easily copy the New Zealand game plan and we could win World Cup, but that wouldn't be fair. I have my own game plan that I came up with all on my own and that should be enough to win world cup. Take a player like Bobby Skinstad, for example. He copied David Beckham's mohawk hair style. This is not right. And that's why he's not going to World Cup.
Posted on 25 Sep 2003 12:15
Victoria Regina
Damn Right - Off with their heads!!-
It is never good to copy. I could easily copy the New Zealand game plan and we could win World Cup, but that wouldn't be fair. I have my own game plan that I came up with all on my own and that should be enough to win world cup. Take a player like Bobby Skinstad, for example. He copied David Beckham's mohawk hair style. This is not right. And that's why he's not going to World Cup. Rudi Straueli [25 Sep 2003 12:15]
Posted on 25 Sep 2003 12:51
Naas Botha
COPYING IS GOOD!-
Karen and I bought a Sansui Hi-Fi from Dion's last weekend! We have now recorded copies of "Die Heelbeste Langarm Sokkie Danstreffers 183" onto cassette tapes, for all of our friends! Doppies and Bakkies were so happy that they bought Karen and I each an old South Africa flag that we can wave about at the World Cup!
Posted on 25 Sep 2003 12:55
Bob Skinnstad
Finally, the truth-
I was so disappointed when I found out that Rudi dropped me because of my mohawk. What if I grew a mullet? Would you reselect me, Rudi? Or what about a perm?
Posted on 25 Sep 2003 12:59
Har Har
:)-
Hehehe, this is damn funny, but not quite as funny as that joke of a career Cynthia has now! Oh, and Bob, good luck for 2007...
Posted on 25 Sep 2003 13:05
Ingrid
Empty words-
Both Vongai and Bristow-Tovey hold a mirror to our editorial environment, reflecting the dearth of talent as well as the inability to recognise true talent.
Posted on 25 Sep 2003 13:57
Anonymous
The real problem-
The media industry is full of talented people, the problem begins when those talented people are given too big an opportunity to deliver on and they don't have the humility to ask for help or to tell someone that they cannot meet a deadline or an expectation. The problem comes in when those people start to believe their own PR. Cynthia Vongai shot up from features writer at Cosmopolitan to editor of ELLE. She had no management experience or magazine production experience, never mind her lack of actual editing experience. It is sad that she had to resort to plagiarising someone else's work to save face instead of asking for assistance or telling The Sowetan that she couldn't meet their deadline. We are all human and that means that we all have the right to admit to being fallible.
Posted on 25 Sep 2003 14:16
Craig
very funny-
"Stealing ideas from thousands is called research, but stealing from one is called plagiarism" Steven Wright
Posted on 25 Sep 2003 14:36
patriotic
they must all go back-
thats what happens when a lot of south african talent is left to idle. cynthia is zimbabwen and that lady from O is also a foreigner. As far as I know she has no journalism experience. Simply because they speak eloquently and are able to endear themselves with the right people. this reflects bad on initiaves to give black people from this country a chance to succeed in good positions.
Posted on 25 Sep 2003 15:46
Kim saville
Plagiarism versus intellectual capital-
One wonders? So much attention is placed on print and Plagiarism. What about people stealing ideas from individuals and companies giving them no credit, but taking the glory for a good marketing plan which has taken the person or company ages to do. Acting like they came up with the idea themselves? What can one do about that? Surely that is Plagiarism...not intellectual capital!!! Cynthia should have learnt from Daryl's blunder.. Sad, that they have to copy articles as their brains are probably drained from the reaction to stress. Brought on by the wonder, if you are going to get home in our crime riddled country. One can't think to well under that pressure. Kim Saville
Posted on 25 Sep 2003 17:36
angie
nice 'try' Naas-
Oh dear...what a good one that was. In spite of it, Naas seems to get better w/ age. Re: the discussion on 'copying'...wonder where Cynthia studied journalism? Rhodes University makes students sign a slip that must be stapled to everything handed in stating that 'this is my own work and has not been plagiarised or borrowed in any way from another source'. Great way to drum this into the heads of those in training. Are the media hiring the right people? -or just those who won't pose a threat to the powers that be? There does seem to be a dumbing down in the media across the spectrum...do we want that? Do we want to breed scores of Simpsons and Jerry Springer contestants? It seems the media is trying to encourage this. Why here? Why now? If it's going that route I'll seek yet another developing country in which to live. I pulled out an old Star Tonight from the early '90s...chalk and cheese to what we read now...it was so much more substantial. But then again, I do realise that media is about advertising sales and bottom line...the quality thing is just a facade. sigh...
Posted on 25 Sep 2003 19:30
Rhoda
The seriousness of plagiarism-
Any journalist or writer worth their salt would know that passing off someone else's work as your own is disrespectful. What is sad though is that younger journalists do this all the time without batting an eyelid.
Posted on 26 Sep 2003 08:59
Nadine
Pathetic-
I really do think Vongai made a big mistake and so do we all. Am sure many of you people who comment on this website would have done the same. Copied someone's article. It happens everywhere even in advertising. People steal and copy other people's ideas. Its just that most of you are jeolous and definately being silly. Its unfortunate it was also done by a black person who was given the chance to show what she is made of. So please do get a grip all of you and concentrate on looking for new ideas to write in the magazines. As for Taweni keep it up coz Oprah is an international magazine and its not about being a kwerekwere and you deserve all the claps coz you are the editor and not some silly people from this country. I can imagine what people will be saying if Oprah was the editor of true love mag will they still call her a Kwerekwere coz she's american. Many people need to go back to school coz they do not know that them Kwerekwere's keep the economy pumping.
Posted on 26 Sep 2003 09:17
frustrated journo
It's got nothing to do with colour-
Black, white, pink or green Cynthia was not qualified enough for the position she was put in to, along with the pressure, limelight etc. She was too inexperienced and I bet that her staff were the ones who really put that mag together - the sales, marketing, production people who are not glamorous but actually know what they are doing. Perhaps she should have given them her columns to write as well. I am not attacking Cynthia - I hope she bounces back because she is gorgeous and has a lot to offer the industry - I am attacking an unfair system that has to change.
Posted on 26 Sep 2003 10:49
Gareth Gates
Cynthia is a c c c c opyer!-
C c c c ynthia Vongai is an i i i i i diot! S s s s ay no to p p p p lagerism!Ä
Posted on 26 Sep 2003 13:08
Tooseday
Go back to basics-
One of the first things I learnt at varsity was the value of referencing other people's ideas, words, whatever. If someone is at a position like dear Cynthia in this case, then I'd expect them to know that you cannot use other people's words as your own, especially in a case where it will be published. Maybe, just maybe, she was not qualified for the position and she should suffer the consequences even if she probably got the gig through AA (NOT BLAMING) from Elle. Hell they saw O mag (awesome by the way) with Taweni and they thought well we're also good enough to have a black chick take over the powers, and they failed.
Posted on 26 Sep 2003 13:54
Tessa
Glad someone got the point-
I agree with Tooseday. When one is unable to fulfil a function for which you were employed (be it AA or by bullsh**ng your way about your experience & qualifications), this is what happens. No-one in their right mind would plagiarise word for word, and then RE-use it in the media. HELLLOO!!! Someone's going to notice!
Posted on 29 Sep 2003 11:03
little birdie...
I've got the dirt...-
I'm privy to the fact that Cynthia was caught fiddling expense claims... For business trips that never existed a few years back. It was all swept under the carpet by her 'politically correct, let's embrace black empowerment and we don't our names in the papers again employers' Karma Cynthia.... Karma Oh, there's also a really good journo course at Cape Tech apparently... you might learn to write something. Isn't strange how SA supports these type of people? Talentless individuals riding the AA wave... You'll get dumped sooner or later.
Posted on 29 Sep 2003 16:07
junior journo
foreign-
This is a sad state of affairs. Many of us dream of such positions and are working hard to get there.It hurts when someone blows it up esp a woman. But this is also a lesson to the media employers who trust foreigners more than us. We need a chance. What will we say to aspiring young journalists? That journalism is about copying. No Idon't think so.
Posted on 29 Sep 2003 17:48
Sorry for SA cowards
testing the waters....-
Sorry guys, I don't agree with the hiding behind the curtain while screaming loader than the warthog.
Posted on 30 Sep 2003 00:09
A foreigner in SA
I love much but hate a bit being here.....-
I am a Black man who came here 3 years ago. The SA gov gave me a visa to come and train people and I have trained more than 15 people who are now earning well. To try and destroy Cynthia based simply on the fact that she is a foreigner is sad. If she did wrong, she will pay in time like us all. She will learn from her mistake. To use this as a springboard for "kwerekwere" vitriol is simply sad. Through education and skills-transference, every one will eventually get their break and the chance to shine. For those who carry such hate, it is not the way forward brothers and sisters. SA is a shining light to the world, please try and add your energy to that. It is what you should be most proud of. From: A foreigner who REALLY DID come home, not like the western celebrities you hateful people run after who stay long enough to take a pic with OUR Madiba and then run back to the 747 .... but one who is here to stay, who fights Home Affairs, Telkom, the rates administration ... and you haters everyday. Untill I die or one of you kills me.
Posted on 30 Sep 2003 00:22
burt
Bristow-Bovey makes it popular-
God Cynthia, If plagiarism is the fashion...you're last season's pumps!
Posted on 30 Sep 2003 09:39
Anonymous
Let's leave AA out!-
Yup, she palguirised but I wouldn't exactly paint all AA appointed people with the same brush. Just a question...B4 this debacle when would u have spoken out about Cynthia being a 'talentless AA rider'. I think it's very dangerous to stereotype people..
Posted on 8 Oct 2003 14:36
Parasite
Go to hell-
This has gone beyond xenophobia, if people like the ones posting notices on Kwerekweres (pope 3, junior journo and the likes) are allowed to practice journalism, who knows, it might be the beginning of another ethnic cleansing/genocide/holocaust. One commits a crime not because they are from somewhere but because of lack of morality. During the apartheid era, your leaders (Mbeki, Tambo etc.) Lived in exile, among people with a dire desire to see this country free and you still utter such profanities? We are now living languishingly and you want to use the very dirty tactics used by the NP against fellow black people, disgusting. The reason why you working hard and not getting the job given to the Kwerekwe is because of your attitude Junior Journo/ pope 3, for the sake of all the KWEREKWERES AND WHITE PEOPLE, this JUNIOR JOURNALIST person should never make it anywhere in the industry, after he is done with foreigners, he will go after the only other threat to his stupidity (Mugabe style), and that’s white people if he is black, and the other way round . PARASITE! [31 Oct 2003 22:52]
Posted on 31 Oct 2003 22:53
circle
Wasting Space.-
Dear Matt, if its correct spelling and grammar you are hopin to correct, read a newspaper, you take up space with petty and ridiculous spelling corrections, even now i am continueing the cycle. by commenting on yours. Its the comment..THE FORUM..we log on to discuss..not spelling. Matt, get a hobby.
Posted on 22 Nov 2003 07:53
Whatever!
Sick n Tired-
I understand where these frustrated young, passionate journos are coming from. Not a single f@@@@@ person in the industry cares about those journos who are brilliant at what they do. Five job interviews in one place and what I get: a big kick in the arse. A person I tutored gets the f***** job I applied for, why becos they are AA employees. I am so sorry that I happened to not be black enough altho I have never been white. Screw all those copy cats they need not be in the industry. we need people who are really passionate or else SA's media industry is going to the dogs, Oh wait, it already has!!! I will take my passion for writing to another country where I shall be appreciated. Please dont comment and use abrupt language for those who disagree with me because it would just mean that you my man are one of those AA riders. Screw the lot!!!
Posted on 6 Feb 2004 13:07
Mahatma Ganja
Satyagraha --
- paassive resistance.. or it must have been der olie veed to leed hair to such mortal complications.
Posted on 3 May 2005 04:52
tIM sINGISWA
Not true.-
THERE HAS BEEN A TENDENCY IN THIS COUNTRY TO BURY THE PEOPLE OF THIS COUNTRY AND ELEVATE,ENHANCE,ADVANCE,COMFORT,CONVENIENCE AND SETTLE FOREIGNERS AND THAT`S WHY SOUTH AFRICANS ARE UMBRAGED BY THE PROLIFERATION OF FOREIGNERS IN THIS COUNTRY. FOREIGNERS HAVE BECOME UNTOUCHABLE WHERE EVEN THE POLICE HAVE TO STUDY THE CRIMINAL PROCEDURE ACT VERY THOROUGHLY BEFORE THEY ACT ON FOREIGNERS.WHEN A FOREIGNER COMPLAINS EVERYBODY FROM THE CABINET MINISTERS WHO WILL INSTRUCT THEIR PROVINCIAL SUBJECTS TO GIVE HIM THEIR ATTENTION TO OUR SECTION 9 COMPANIES AND NGO AND THIS IS HAPPENING WHILE THEY ARE NOT AN ASSET BUT A GREAT LIABILITY AND RISK TO THIS CUNTRY AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS COUNTRY ARE LABELLED FIRST AND TOLD ALL KINDS OF THINGS LIKE YOU`RE XENOPHOBIC OR GET OUT IF YOU`RE NOT HAPPY AND THIS IS WHAT GET THE GOAT OUT OF LOCALS.
Posted on 1 May 2007 16:28

Related

Let's do Biz