#WomensMonth

Covid-19

Subscribe to industry newsletters

The future of magazines?

There's a new "magazine" that doesn't seem to be a magazine because it is not printed, but is on a disc (CD). Is this perhaps the future of publications?
A new music magazine caught my eye recently. The only problem is that it's completely digital. In other words, it comes on a disc. So each issue, instead of receiving a glossy magazine, you receive a shiny CD packaged in a DVD box. So you get this CD, and put it into your PC and the "magazine" comes up and you navigate through it to get to the content.

Now I was quite blown away because I have always considered magazines as one thing and computers as another. Adding to that: I always considered a magazine something you would read on the toilet or in front of the television...

This is not to say I was put off... It does take time to get used to the idea - specifically in terms of the fact that you don't page, but I really found it quite engrossing, not to mention that there were the added bonuses of sound clips and video, and to be honest, it's a much longer read than I get out of most other mags I subscribe to.

I really thought this was an interesting concept, and so it got me thinking about the possiblity that what I was looking at was maybe the future of publications? It certainly makes sense, well at least for this music CD-zine...

I'd be interested in knowing if any one else has come across a similar product, and what they think of this different medium and its consequences for the magazine industry...
Comment
Eric
welcome to the internet-
Yep it is called the internet. Its cheaper and more up to date than cds as well!
Posted on 6 Feb 2006 16:17
Gerald Yapp
The end of print? NOT-
I think while it has it advantages, But I think its still so much easier to be able to thumb through a publication. We spend so much time staring at our computer screens for work, that its a welcome releif to lie back on the couch and read a magazine. You have to applaud them for their hard work in making a publication like this, but its been tried before and never caught one before.
Posted on 6 Feb 2006 17:02
magfreak
No-
Can't read it in the bath so, uh uh.
Posted on 7 Feb 2006 08:23
TRK1612
Can't use the PC in the bath!-
My magazine reads are reserved for my weekly 1 hour to myself... Lying in a bath full of relaxing potions, no kids, no husband, no work... just me, myself and the stories of tons of other women just like me which comforts me somehow! Nevermind, the mag is full of huge wet spots when I eventually leave my haven but as you know, water dries eventually and my book is good as new until next time!
Posted on 7 Feb 2006 11:52
Steve Blues
Old hat-
There have been numerous attempts at magazine publishing in this format in SA, especially in the young adults market. The two I can recall to mind immediately failed within about 3 months of launch as it appears that SA consumers are just not ready for the format yet. They are also used to recieving the same sort of content format for free, via the net, from sites such as www.mrspencer.co.za , jhblive, rage.co.za , comedownmondays , etc, etc, etc.
Posted on 7 Feb 2006 12:15
Shane
LOL for this-
God, how long did it take for you to wake up? This has been done for years in the US and Europe. It has even been done in South Africa many many years ago. I'm always amazed by just how uninformed some people are. And no, it is not the future of magazines, the future is the internet. Say good bye to magazines and newspapers. Do some research on ad spend in the States and you will see where the trend is going to. Say goodbye to those tree killing bastards!
Posted on 8 Feb 2006 08:39
Anonymous
LOL at YOU!-
I agree that this is old news, but the 'net is definitely not the "future of magazines" or newspapers for that matter. Yes the benefits of pull technology and interactivity are there with the internet, but people will always want to read their mags or papers in a relaxed mood and environment so they'll always be around.
Posted on 10 Feb 2006 14:36
hedmekanik
Niche market capture-
Whilst CD-based mags may not be ye olde 'doubles-as-a-fly-swatter' and indeed may not be the most practical for reading in the bath/toilet, there is certainly space for products of this kind once you consider that the market which such mags are targeted at (youth, LSM 7 -10)are highly computer-oriented and spend a lot more time in front of a monitor for reasons of pleasure rather than work. It's a niche market capture method and will certainly be a force to be dealt with as time passes and the market expands, which it's doing on a daily basis as more of the youth market accesses affluence and by proxy, computers. I think the concept has legs and will be around for a long time.
Posted on 23 Feb 2006 10:33
timothy
CD-zine-
I have encountered such media as you're describing. I think it's very interesting but I have a background of digital animation and web development, so while I browsed through the content, I was really interested by the functionality, simplicity and effectivness of the issue. Great things are happening out there, enjoy the development.
Posted on 23 Feb 2006 11:28
none
was is SUb_Urban Magazine by any chance?-
Just, wondering.
Posted on 7 Mar 2006 15:20
Pruv
Stll believe in the print -
There is nothing exciting as being able to page through something that you have in your hands. Digital mags are not easy to read, but yes they are good enough for those who believe in this niche market.
Posted on 20 Mar 2006 16:16
Ann
reality bites-
Great idea - but when most of the country is still learning to read -and computers are still luxury items - in 20 years where will you be making your money? print - or digital?
Posted on 30 Mar 2006 14:14
Nic
Ad spend-
Actually, ad spend went to Online and is slowly filtering back to print. But the real money is not in adverts anymore. It's in sponsorhips, events and value ads.
Posted on 11 Apr 2006 15:04
Shirley
It won't work-
Ever tried reading an e-book? After the first couple of pages your eyes begin to burn and water. Reading large volumes of text just doesn't work on a computer monitor.
Posted on 9 May 2006 08:43
Dave
I ran e-zines on the web in London 5 years ago-
And the reality is that glossy magazines are here to stay. They are portable, easy to read and have a good shelf life if the content is appropriate. Why would a magazine be put on cd instead of the internet? distribution on the net is far easier, advertising revenues would be higher and content can be changed at anytime. The e-zines that I ran in the UK all failed because people as u said, people want to read in the loo or on the bus or train or whatever. Computers are for work - not reading!
Posted on 1 Jun 2006 15:21

Related

Let's do Biz