Subscribe to industry newsletters

I`m a filmmaker...

I`m a person who strongly believe in myself and being a self-trained filmmaker-film producer or line producer I want to start my own motion picture and I`m confused by the narrow-mindedness of investors and banks when they are requested to invest or lend money to filmmakers since this is not only about making films but a multifaceted business that can incorporate short-term services to repay banks and pay the rent.
Its not always easy to make business plan in this industry since no-one comes-up with sellable ideas where they can put on paper its rewards.After you have put your idea on paper that`s now when the battle actually start when you are supposed to pass it on to directors and only when a director can give his nod to your idea can you now workout the spreadsheet.

Anyone out there who don`t mind offering me a space to get started or I`m taking my skill to LA.
Forum created by Tim Singiswa
Get a daily news update via WhatsApp or sign up to our newsletters.
Comment
Anonymous
What is a filmmaker?-
He/She creates the conditions for making movies.Traditionally,they`re considered the "Chief of Staff"while the director is in charge of line.This "staff and line"organization mirrors that of most large corporations and the military.Under this arrangement,the producer has overall controll of the project and can terminate the Director,but the director actually makes the film.My task as a "line producer"is to assists with day-to-day financial and production concerns"on the line"as the film is being made. A film producer coordinates ,initiates,supervises and controls matters such as raising funding,hiring key personnel,and arranging for distributors.He is involved throughout all-phases of the filmmaking process from development to completion of a project.
Posted on 29 Mar 2007 10:35
Anonymous
When Idevelop a dramatic plot.....-
I SELECT A STORY IDEA PERTAINING TO A MYRIAD OF EXPERIENCES{PERSONAL},ANECDOTES ABOUT FRIENDS AND ACQUINTANCES,HISTORICAL EVENTS AND REPORTS i HAVE READ IN NEWSPAPERS AND MAGAZINES.SOMETIMES A REAL-LIFE EXPERIENCE BECOMES A JUMPING-OFF POINT FOR CREATING A PLOT WITH DIFFERENT TWISTS AND OUTCOMES,SAID MY LECTURER. ONCE I HAVE CHOSEN AN IDEA FOR THE STORY,I`M READY TO BEGIN DEVELOPING THE PLOT LINE.I STRUCTURE THE STORY FOR MY SCREENPLAY INTO THREE MAIN STAGES OF ACTION. The Beginning:Act 1 The Middle:Act 11 The End:Act 111 The beginning {Act 1} of the screenplay I comprise it with action scenes in which the main character{protagonist}and the antagonist{villain}are introduced.I then define the conflict that pits both characters against each other. The middle{Act 11}of the screenplay is comprised of actions scenes that depict an ongoing struggle between the protagonist and antagonist.The protagonist must do battle with the antagonist again and again and appear to be losing the battle,which creates ongoing conflict and drama.
Posted on 8 Apr 2007 16:48
Anonymous
Continuing-
Numerous obstacles should prevent the protagonist from achieving his goal.Those obstacles should include his tragic flaw-something he must overcome personally to win the final battle against the antagonist. To summarize,the action scenes in a screenplay are structured into three main stages.: Act 1:The Conflict Act 11:The Struggle Act 111 :The Climax and Resolution Example:I adopt this film{Man on Fire} because it had the best ethnomusic and ethnographix. In the film,theprotagonist,John Creasy,played by Denzel Washington takes a job as a bodyguard for Pita Ramos -played by Dakota Fanning ,a nine year old girl who lives in Mexico City.Children from wealthy families are routinely kidnapped and held for ransom in Mexico City. Creasy was a former undercover intelligence operative.His past haunts him,and he has given-up on his life and become an alcoholic.But he takes his job as a bodyguard for Pita seriously.He guards her and avoid becoming emotionally much attached to her.but she insists on forming a relationship with him,and he becomes her friend at the end of Act 1. In-spite of Creasy`s attempts to protect Pita,she is kidnapped.The kidnapping takes place in the middle of Act 11,when several men shoot creasy,wounding him badly and taking Pita hostage.This scene establishes the conflict between Creasy and the kidnappers. In the second half of Act 11,the struggle begins and escalates.Creasy recovers from his gunshots wounds and learns that th attempt tpo pay the kidnappers for Pita failed.When Creasy believes that Pita is dead,he becomes a "man of fire"bent on retribution.Fearless and fuelled with rage ,Creasy uses all his past skills to uncover th corruption,greed,and violence in Mexico`skidnapping organization.And he oles out his own brand of justice,hunting down all the kidnappers one-by-one. At the end of Act 11,he learns that Victor Fuentes,the head of the anti-kidnapping police division in Mexico City,stole part of the ransome money from the kidnappers and prevented Pita from being safely returned to her parents. In Act111,the main conflict rises to a climax where Creasy learns that Pita`s father,Samuel Ramos{played by-Mark Anthony,was responsible for her kidnapping. Samuel was distraught o0ver his deep debt and devised a scheme to to get money from the company that provided his family with kidnapping insurance.When his wife,Lisa,discovers his scheme,Samuel kills himself.
Posted on 9 Apr 2007 15:21
Anonymous
Continuing-
How I structure the plot: I list the events in my story in short sentences and in chronological order. I create a chronological timeline to help me define the scenes in which the action and drama unfold. Idefine the main conflict of my story in one sentence. Iseparate the events of my story into a beginning {Act 1},middle{Act 11},and end{Act111}.The beginning establish the main conflict.The middle define the protagonist`s struggle and the obstacles he faces.The end depict the climax of my story and the resolution of the main conflict. Iexamined the events I have listed and eliminate those that don`t move my story forward. If events take place over many months or years ,I compress the time in which events are depicted.This help me create a tighter plot .Step2:Create Believable Characters Characters are the heart of my story.Their actions dramatize the events and breath life into my story.Before I begin writing the individual scenes in my screenplay,I must understand everything about each character I create: 1}The Protagonist{Hero} 2}The Antagonist{Villain} 3}The Supporting Characters Essentially I write a detailed biography of each character in my script.The biography include the main characteristics that define each character;physical appearance,personal experiences,habits and relationships.
Posted on 11 Apr 2007 18:04
Anonymous
Continuation-
ItsESSENTIAL TO WRITE DETAILED BIOGRAPHIES TO UNDERSTAND THE PHYSICAL AND PSYCHOLOGICAL MOTIVATIONAL FORCES THAT DEFINE YOUR CHARACTERS.ONCE YOU UNDERSTAND YOUR CHARACTERS YOU CAN CREATE BELIEVABLE DIALOGUE FOR THEM. ANOTHER TRICK IS TO CREATE CHARACTERS BY MODELLING THEM AFTER PEOPLE YOU KNOW.IF YOU THINK OF SOMEONE YOU KNOW PERSONALLY WHILE CREATING A CHARACTER BIOGRAPHY,ITS EASY TO DESCRIBE HIS OR HER CHARACTERISTICS AND THEN CHANGE OR ADD CHARACTERISTICS THAT FIT YOUR PLOT.
Posted on 16 Apr 2007 10:13

Related