Is music the answer to the world's problems?

A tragedy happens and a group of musicians get to together and create a song about it. Is this really for a good cause or just a money-making, publicity scheme?
Recently there was the release of the "Never in our lifetime" single by SA musicians coming together to support the fight against xenophobia.

LIVE dedicated a single, "Overcome" to victims of the 9/11 tragedy.

We have the Live Earth concerts that are supposed to help create awareness about being eco-conscious and eco-friendly yet attendees seem to care more about who's on the performance line-up.

Are these music industry responses to tragedies and human failures really effective or do they have ulterior motives?
Comment
Mamokete
Catch-22-
Let me sit on the fence and say that majority see music as a universal language capable of soothing and comforting if not distorted. So one understands when musicians unite in an attempt to unify people after a particular disaster, then what if they also "gain" from their "good deeds"? Who should be shot? Take for example in the Not in our lifetime song after xenophobic attacks, call me ignorant but there were a couple of musos that for some reason i didn't recognize, and this is a great opportunity for them to get their stuff out there, right? Maybe we should just accept that there always has to be someone who gains whenever something goes down, now as far as whether this is beneficial... Do you remember the song performed by various South African artist during the 1994 transition? The one that went..."South Africa, we love you. Our beautiful land. Let's show the whole world we can bring peace in our land". Well, did it achieve it's purpose? Answer me and you are answered!
Posted on 15 Jul 2008 09:58
eSindi
Perhaps...-
Yes, it made me at the time proud to be South African. Considering at the time 9 years old, I still felt some strange joy in my heart to be singing it...
Posted on 16 Jul 2008 16:27
Let's do Biz