Covid-19

Subscribe to industry newsletters

Zimbabwe media

Any comment on the media situation in Zimbabwe?
Can anyone comment on the media situation in Zimbabwe and will South Africa take a stance to make a change for freedom of information in Zimbabwe for Zimbabwean people?
Comment
Jaxxball
Softly catch-um...-
Perhaps if Zim had oil we could of let Big Boy Bush do his liberating on them. But as all we Southern Africans have is ourselves perhaps Mbeki's soft diplomacy is the better way. We gotto wait for Zimbabweans to sort themselves out, after all, they voted Mad Bob in again. And then England does have to share some blame for the mess they left the country in.
Posted on 8 Apr 2003 07:51
Stunned!
An expected comment like this..-
This is the kind of comment that brings that shows the mentality of South Africans if this is correct. It never ceases to amaze me that the general comment or response to this problem is let them sort it out. S.A.'s seem happy to fly to Victoria Falls and milk the situation. Despite sanctions imposed, the longer they remain Zimbabwe suffers and at the delight of the South African government which in turn rakes in millions of $US on toursim and trade knowingly that should Zimbabwe become safer and more democratic investment will subside. Farmers are dying in South Africa being killed as the same in Zimbabwe but it's kept silent so as not to frighten the population and trade, more farmers have died there than in Zim. I forsee the same happening in S.A. with greater violence and much more bloodshed, considering that the land that was also promised to blacks was and has not been given too. I would have expected a much more objective view of the current situation and the media as a whole fighting for the causes as well with unbiased reporting. At the end of the day when Zimbabwe falls completely so will S.A. your economy - refugees fleeing - inter fighting - it will almost be a sight of S.A. moving back into the see with an influx of fleeing populations. Zimbabwe is your only way out - and Mbeki being afraid of Mugabe will further cause concern in Africa as a leader who is ignorant of not only Aids/HIV but allowing murders on his front door, and ass - uming they are not happening. Knock Knock -
Posted on 8 Apr 2003 14:30
mikhail
Regime Change-
Zim needs regime change and SOuth Africa can help - there are precedents for this kind of action. John Vorster - then SA President turned off the support for Rhodesia which led partly to the subsequent collapse of the Rhodesian Government resistance. The same mechanisms could be used again - cutting off power and imposing sanctions to bring regime change again. Though not advocating violent overthrow the South African government did invade Lesotho not so long ago and basically destroyed a huge amount of infrastructure in pursuing their goals there. Why are they so afrain of unilateral action when they took unlateral action against Lesotho. NEPAD is dead in the water if peer review is not applied and action taken on the basis of the review - the world is tited of Fascist, Nationalist dictators - its time South Africa shouldered the responsibility of leadership on the continent and started to atke action to implement NEPAD aspirations.
Posted on 8 Apr 2003 16:54
Zimbo #1
Since my life!-
Im Zimbabwean, so i have front row seats to all the action, i know what oppresion means now because i have seen it, i dont know how some of you south africans can sit back and say "well they voted Bob in, so screw em', let them fix it!", maybe you dont realise that SA will be facing the same crap in the not so distant future, and considering your history of violence, I would bet all my front teeth your lot will be much more violent than our's, but alas!, ole Mbeki dont seem to be getting the big picture, so while he polishes Bob's apples with his silent diplomacy thing, most Zimbo's are being beaten and starved to death by you know who! Oh! to the twit who posted the thing about us voting mad Bob in!, you need to watch the news dude!
Posted on 9 Apr 2003 08:24
Stunned.
Disgusted at South African media giants - no balls.-
I am flabagasted to find that not one of you had the guts to confront this issue as a South Africans, considering Zimbabwe did get shot at during your liberation days. Least Expected some kind of rebuff but such arrogance bemuses beyond understanding of South African mentality. To the ones who replied positively your comments are valuable minus one.
Posted on 10 Apr 2003 17:18
Nathan Fishbone
What Media?-
I was in Zim last week and saw no visible signs of Media. Nothing but the odd smouldering Billboard and perhaps one or two 7 month old magazines lying here and there. A meeting I was meant to have with one of their most prominent agencies: Ogilvy & Mather, Rightford Searle-Tripp and Mugabe was cancelled - as the blighters had been out to lunch since the previous Monday afternoon.
Posted on 16 Apr 2003 19:37
Jajoba
If it's bigger, it's better-
We could take a stand against Mugabe. South Africa is bigger, we are better equipped and, in effect, stronger. It is well known that elections are rigged. I have a document, too large to copy and paste here, if anyone's interested in reading about what's really going on over there. Just mail me.
Posted on 27 May 2003 10:25
planet of the ape
let's start a rumour RM has weapons of mass destruction-
he's running his country into the ground, his people are starving and desperate. let's phone up Bush Jnr. and tell him Robert's got a nuclear arms stash. oh wait! Osama and Saddam are guests of his state. if you control the media, you can get away with murder. this man sadly is no idiot - he has two degrees and was schooled by Jesuit Priests. plus he will continue to get the support of our goverment as he was a 'comrade in the struggle' so they must turn a blind eye. tragic! if I had one wish it would be for him to die of the VD he so obviously has which now makes him a megalomaniac and quite delusional. by now he believes his own bullsh*t.
Posted on 24 Jun 2003 13:55
virginal woolf
Mugabe's taking a leaf out of Bush Jnr's book-
I agree with Jojoba - definately the election was rigged, any fool can see that the majority of his people DO NOT support the man. Shades of the Florida debacle in the USA all over again before I'm tempted to call RM a dictator and non-democratic and blame the state of their nation on this. Mugabe is controlling media [just like the Bush Administration does BELIEVE ME!] and fixing elections [ditto]. The Special Assignment expose on how the Yanks controlled data flow around the Gulf War was an eye opener of note, I really didn't think so called First World Democracies would do this to CNN and BBC front-line correspondents. The SA Government should do more or at least distance themselves publicly if nothing can be done [which i refuse to believe]. Remember what happened to the exchange rate last time Mugabe opened his big yap and our Pres. sat like a Yorkie on the sidelines panting and preening? There are strong economic reasons to kick Mugabe's ass nevermind the more compelling ethical and moral motivations.
Posted on 24 Jun 2003 14:05
virginal woolf
Mugabe's taking a leaf out of Bush Jnr's book-
I agree with Jojoba - definately the election was rigged, any fool can see that the majority of his people DO NOT support the man. Shades of the Florida debacle in the USA all over again before I'm tempted to call RM a dictator and non-democratic and blame the state of their nation on this. Mugabe is controlling media [just like the Bush Administration does BELIEVE ME!] and fixing elections [ditto]. The Special Assignment expose on how the Yanks controlled data flow around the Gulf War was an eye opener of note, I really didn't think so called First World Democracies would do this to CNN and BBC front-line correspondents. The SA Government should do more or at least distance themselves publicly if nothing can be done [which i refuse to believe]. Remember what happened to the exchange rate last time Mugabe opened his big yap and our Pres. sat like a Yorkie on the sidelines panting and preening? There are strong economic reasons to kick Mugabe's ass nevermind the more compelling ethical and moral motivations.
Posted on 24 Jun 2003 14:05
zimbo #2
ah ah - its not me-
south africans should take an interest in what is happening in zim. from the comments posted it is obvious that even those who could take the time to comment have no clue. The outside world cannot do anything about zim cos they don't see it. SA on the other hand can do something if only people could know that SA is slowly following the same path that zim took. I am a zimbabwean, i love the country but in ordser to have a worthwhile life i live in ct - the same will happen here - sit up and take notice!!!
Posted on 23 Apr 2004 10:54
malese
The Media in Zim is fine-
What do you want. The media system is fine, just in your Mazantse. Your question is not clear... pls rephrase
Posted on 14 Mar 2005 12:07
Angelique
What?!-
Are you seriouly asking for comments? The situation does not require comments, that is what the whole world is giving:COMMENTS! We should take drastic action. I say we should sent someone in to put a bullet hole in Mugabe's head! He is a no good piece of SH*T!
Posted on 8 Aug 2007 14:20
Rather dead than Popish
Puppet on a string-
The problem in Zimbabwe...and the rest of the world...the influence of the Jesuit order. RM was schooled by them! Where ever the Jesuits are involved be sure there'll be huge piles of shit flying around.
Posted on 22 Nov 2008 23:47
Let's do Biz