Finally they notice we spend money too

Indians are finally being targeted through advertising!
For the longest time, advertising target audiences have always been either white, black or coloured. I was beginning to think Indian people were disregarded or just didn't have the money. Things have definitely changed as I have been quite amused with the KFC PRAAVESSSSHHH advert, it is cute and so typically indian. It is just nice knowing there are people who realise advertising had to change.
Comment
Sean
Peugeot-
The advert for the Peugeot 307 I think it is, is quite funny. It's where he smashes up his old car to make it look like a Peugeot. Haven't asked yet what the Indian market think of it so any comments whether it works or doesn't would be interesting to know.
Posted on 25 Mar 2003 13:30
Anonymous
Funny-
Funny they should stick an Indian in an ad for how cheap something is?..(Jees keep your sense of humour!) It is a cute ad - and far better than aunties shopping in saris meant for weddings....definately a lot more representative and real.....
Posted on 25 Mar 2003 15:40
Reshma
It's a trend-
I think that these ads are not just targeted at indians or anything like that. The East has always held an element of mystery and it's now time to demystify it. "Indianism" is a hot new trend (see the Guru :) ) with things like east-west movies (Bend it like beckham, monsoon wedding, etc.) and that musical (Bombay Beats or something like that) and the hot little number Nicci Kidman did in Moulin Rouge. Music like "Thora Resham Lagte Hai- Addictive" remix with the rapper and Indian songbird Lata and a whole lot of other similiar songs like that really terrible one that Gillman loves playing in the mornings. All these "success" shows that the masses are hungry for something new and the flavour of the month is really spicy. I love the new ads with indians in them. Most of them are funny and definately unrealistic (though i'm sure alot of indians can identify with them. I can!) I figure that advertisers are just picking up the trend and going with the flow. Targeting indians solely with these type of ads will be really stupid. I, for one, will take offence if these ads are seriously meant to depict the average indian home, but as long as it's good-humored and not insulting I will continue to be entertained. There's nothing like a fresh approach to get my attention and to amuse me.
Posted on 25 Mar 2003 20:49
Sam I Am
Opel Corsa-
Dont forget about Rhaj and Rhajdu in the Corsa Ads
Posted on 28 Mar 2003 13:28
Carmelia
Raj & em-
For sure!!! I love the Corsa adverts!
Posted on 28 Mar 2003 16:00
kevin
Get Real-
the only reason they are being targeted is because they breed like rabbits.
Posted on 1 Apr 2003 12:35
Anonymous
Thin Ice Kevin-
Careful kevin, you're gonna get some flack for that comment!
Posted on 1 Apr 2003 13:14
Anonymous
Kevin, call Stats SA you twat!-
Kevin, oh Kevin, you twat. I am sure you are one of those stupid fair-skinned people who have no clue about the Indian population and what Indian people are all about. You blerrie dunno what ye talkin abowt. If you had done your fucken homework you poor fair-skinned twat you would have known that the aim was to appreciate what these ad agencies are doing. Something that was positive . It's racist people like you who don't allow for appreciation of the new South africa. Commit suicide that would be your best option rather than saying stupid racist things.And another thing call Stats SA, Kevin you fucken asshole and they would tell you that Indians are a minority in SA and donot breed like rabbits. maybe you were talking about your mother!!
Posted on 2 Apr 2003 07:52
Anonymous
you stupid person Kevin-
how dare you say something like that, go get a life - you twat!
Posted on 2 Apr 2003 11:10
virginal woolf
ignore Kevin he's just a troll - the KFC ad "rocks"-
"Kevin" is just causing k*k in the forum and wasting everyone's time. ignore him or you'll just fuel his purile glee at getting people all worked up! back to the forum; i loved the KFC ad - i'm a fair-skinned lass but have indian friends, dated a muslim boy for 4 years plus my flatmate is a great indian girl with loads of self-depreciating humour to her credit. My galpal also loves the ad and we chuckle together when it comes on ... love the music, the ad is witty + keeps on working past the first viewing. gr8 stuff!!
Posted on 4 Apr 2003 16:36
Anonymous
with that amount of guts you shouldn't have to hide your identity-
If you're big enough to make that comment then why not publish your e-mail address you idiot!!!
Posted on 8 Apr 2003 16:29
Anonymous
Kevin-
I taught your mamma the kama sutra and you're half indian. How does that sit now you dipstick.
Posted on 8 Apr 2003 16:53
Katmandu
Love 'em-
These adverts are hysterical.. where could one get the script?
Posted on 1 Dec 2004 14:50
Steve
Targeting Indians? Hardly...-
It would be an huge mistake to assume that these ads target indians per se. It's just that there is something intrinsically funny about the Indian culture as a whole. They're comic relief, like "Apu" from the Simpsons. Trust me, the novelty will wear off sooner or later.
Posted on 9 Aug 2005 10:09
Let's do Biz