CNBC Africa, on Thursday, 25 October 2012, hosted the second annual All Africa Business Leader Awards (AABLA
) at Vodadome in Midrand, South Africa. Kenya's Equity Bank CEO, James Mwangi, was awarded the Business Leader of the Year prize. This is the second high profile recognition for the Kenyan businessman, after he won the Ernst & Young World Entrepreneur of the Year in June.
The event was hosted by senior CNBC Africa anchor, Alishia Seckam and former 'Top Billing' presenter, Nico Panagio. It was attended by captains of industry and government leaders including Gauteng MEC for Economic Development, Nkosiphendule Kolisile, who was the key note speaker.
"I have founded these awards in 2011 as a derivative of the Business Leaders Awards that are held by CNBC all over the world. These awards are a tribute to those captains of industry who have made a qualitative difference to the companies, industries and communities that they serve", said Rakesh Wahi, founder of the ABN Group.
"On behalf of the ABN Group, I would like to congratulate all the winners and finalists for their superb work, they are promoting African leadership that will eventually create and preserve the wealth and glory that belongs to its people", he said.
And the winners are...
The AABLA 2012 winners in the different categories are:
- Business Leader of The Year: James Mwangi, CEO of Equity Bank
- Entrepreneur of The Year: Jannie Mouton, CEO of PSG Group
- Business Woman of the Year: Funke Opeke, CEO of Main One Cable Company
- Young Business Leader of The Year: Jack Kayonga, MD at Rwanda Development Bank
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Manu Chandaria, Comcraft
- The Forbes Africa Advertising Leader of the Year: Bharat Thakrar, CEO of Scangroup
- Forbes Africa Agency Network of the Year: Ogilvy & Mather Africa
"The AABLAs are an important calendar item in our coverage of African business and markets," said Godfrey Mutizwa, CNBC Africa's Chief Editor. "The winners once again demonstrate the quality and depth of business leadership across the continent, and we look forward to continuing to showcase Africa's best", he said.
They grand finale will be broadcast on Tuesday, 30 October 2012 on CNBC Africa, DStv Channel 410 at 9pm CAT.