The 2017 Africa Property Investment (API) Awards was held on Thursday, 24 August, recognising property developers, suppliers and owners in sub-Saharan Africa across seven categories.
L-R: Gugulethu Cele, CNBC Africa; Charles Haba, Centrury Rwanda; Michael Idusso, Kigali Heights Development Company; Daniel Kamau
The categories include Best Retail Development, Best Mixed-Use Development, Best Commercial High-Rise Development, Best Architectural Design, Best Green Building in Sub-Saharan Africa, Best Hotel Development and Best Housing Development. The winning developments came from Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Mozambique, Namibia and Rwanda.
The projects were judged on a wide range of criteria including location, infrastructure and transport access, integration into the environment, originality of the concept, technical and architectural quality, services offered, sensitivity to the local community, innovation, sustainability, corporate staff involvement, response to market demands, financial performance, occupancy, and the impact of the project on economic convergence.
2017 Africa Property Investment Awards winners:
- Best Retail Development - Kumasi City Mall, Ghana - Atterbury (developer) and Boogertman & Partners (architects)
- Best Commercial High-rise Development - Accra Financial Centre, Ghana - RMB Westport (developer)
- Best Mixed-Use Development - Kigali Heights, Rwanda - Kigali Heights Development Company (developer), Fusion Capital (financier), Century Real Estate (property managers)
- Best Green Building in Sub-Saharan Africa - Garden City, Kenya – Actis (developer)
- Best Hotel Development - Strand Hotel, Namibia - DHK Architects (architects)
- Best Housing Development - Karibu Homes, Kenya - Karibu Homes (developer)
- Best Architectural Design - Torres Rani Towers, Mozambique - DSA Architects (architects)