False Bay College Students acknowledged for top academic performance in the WC Province
Left to right: Cornelius Tarwireyi (NCV: IT), Léé-Mari Ferreira (NCV: Office Administration),
Xolani Diba (NCV: Mechatronics), Kayla Ellis ( NCV: Finance, Economics & Accounting),
Mr C Kruger (CEO), Venecia Johannes (NCV: IT) Mrs K Hendricks (DCEO: Education and Training), Sherilyn Maartens (NCV: Hospitality), Tamryn Joseph (NCV: IT), Lauren Davids (N6: Financial Management).
Our students received their accolades at a prestigious function held by the Western Cape Education Department (WCED), hosted by the Superintendent General of the WCED Ms Penny Vinjevold, on the 18th February to recognise excellence in the academic performance of FET College students and to pay personal tribute to achieving students. Also in attendance were the Premier: Helen Zille, the MEC: Mr Donald Grant, staff from the WCED FET Directorate, sponsors, FET College CEOs' and staff, students and their parents and guardians.
The Premier gave an inspiring message to the students reminding them of the importance of developing four key values in their lives, namely: dedication to pursuing the truth in every situation, taking responsibility for what you can be responsible for, deferring or delaying gratification, and developing the ability to development sound judgement.
FETC Programme Categories that were recognised were top achievement in DHET national examinations i.e. NC(V) and Report 191 programmes. The Performance criteria for recognition of excellent achievement were:
- Students must have engaged in full time studies
- Report 191 students in all 2012 trimester and semester exit level programmes
- NC(V) Level 4 students : based on the November 2012 examination results
- Students must have had a good record of attendance, i.e. above 80%
- Students must have had no disciplinary issues or matters regarding behaviour pending against them
The following minimum academic performance was considered:
|N3 Engineering||An aggregate of 80% in 4 subjects|
|N6 Engineering||An aggregate of 80% in 4 subjects|
|N6 Business Management Studies||An aggregate of 90% in 4 subjects|
|N6 Services & Design Studies||An aggregate of 90% in 4 subjects|
|NC(V) Level 4 Engineering and Computer Studies||An aggregate of 80% in 7 subjects|
|NC(V) Level 4 Business Studies||An aggregate of 80% in 7 subjects|
|NC(V) Level 4 Services||An aggregate of 80% in 7 subjects|
The college is very proud of the fact that we had 8 nominees across the following categories: Information Technology, Business Studies, Services Studies, NC(V) Level 4 mathematics, NC(V) Finance and NATED Finance. False Bay College Award winners are:
- Mr Cornelius Tawireyi: NC(V) Level 4 IT: ( Fishhoek Campus)
- Mr Xolani Diba : Mathematics NC(V) Level 4 ( Westlake Campus)
- Ms Kayla Ellis : NC(V) FEA ( Fishhoek Campus)
- Ms Lauren Davids : N6 Financial Management ( Mitchells Plain Campus)
The following students received merit certificates:
- Ms Tamryn Josephs NC(V) Level 4 IT: ( Fishhoek Campus)
- Ms Léé-Mari Ferreira NC(V) Level 4 Business Studies : ( Fishhoek Campus)
- Ms Venecia Johannes NC(V) Level 4 IT: ( Khayelitsha Campus)
- Ms Sherilyn Maartens NC(V) Services Studies( Muizenberg Campus)
"Well done to our students. They have done the college proud. We wish them every success for their future studies and careers.
We also congratulate the Programme Heads and lecturing staff of these departments. We recognise that excellence in academic achievement amongst our students is largely due to the efforts of staff members who provide quality teaching.
We hope that these awards will inspire our student and staffing community to exceed this achievement in 2013." Karin Hendricks, DCEO: Education and Training, False Bay College.