Manufacturers require well-managed reactive and preventative equipment maintenance plans, as well as expert, local equipment suppliers who are not only well versed in the industries they serve but are also readily available with support and assistance to service, install or fix equipment as required.
Also paramount to ensuring a slick end-of-line packaging operation is choosing the right equipment for the job. Pyrotec PackMark provides a vast portfolio of world-class, locally supplied, coding equipment for every category of packaging, including primary, secondary and tertiary coding and labelling applications.
Primary coding is applied to the layer of packaging that comes into direct contact with the product, protecting it while it's stored and transported. It's also the consumer-facing component that's seen at point of purchase.
Secondary coding is applied to the second layer of packaging that is positioned outside the primary packaging and predominantly used to combine several identical primary packages. Secondary coding also plays a pivotal role in branding and displaying products as it's this element that is often used for marketing and information.
Tertiary coding is applied to the outermost layer of packaging, and plays a crucial role throughout the supply chain during warehouse storage and bulk transportation.
What to consider when choosing coding equipment:
- Consider the shape of the packaging or product that's being coded - will the coding equipment cope with its configurations?
- What are you coding? Be cognisant of the packaging material being used and the relevant equipment required to code onto this material. Will you require food-safe inks? Does your equipment need to operate at high speeds? Because printed codes need to be 100% accurate, consider whether your coder needs to work in hot, wet, dusty or dirty environments.
- Research equipment options and various technologies - inkjet, thermal transfer, print and apply - and ensure that the print technology works for your product. Also consider whether you need continuous or intermittent application.
- Acquaint yourself with your industry's specific coding requirements and ensure that you adhere to, if not surpass, these standards. Also, keep abreast of industry trends to ensure that you future-proof your brands.
- Consider overall cost of ownership, including consumables and maintenance requirements, and ensure that the equipment and software can be upgraded for future requirements.
For Pyrotec PackMark customers, every effort is made to ensure that coding equipment runs optimally, that maintenance is fast and efficient, and that downtime is minimised at all times. "We operate a 24-hour call centre that's manned by experienced technicians. In the event of a breakdown, customers speak directly to a technician who, in most cases, is able to resolve the problem over the phone," explains Brandon Pearce, Pyrotec PackMark's General Manager.
"We also offer a complete concept-to-application service that is cost-effective, practical and meets international standards. Additionally, our expert technicians provide advice about line design and configurations, and are well placed to recommend effective coding equipment that will also take future requirements into consideration," Brandon concludes.